Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Big Debate


Yes, it's true the big debate has started. No conclusions have been drawn just my all knowing and knowledgeable insights verses my darling, but young 4-year-old's opinion. Love him more than anything, but I am growing tired of hearing all about his friends. . . ."Mom can I have a friend over . . . ". "Mom can I go to Ethan's House.. . . ." "Mom is today a friend day. . . . " "Mom. . .Mom . . " I'm telling you the list of friends this and friends that goes on and on. He is just sure that if he wasn't the most popular kid in the neighborhood/preschool that the walls of his little world would come crashing down. I'm sure that you have drawn some conclusion as to what this all knowing and knowledgeable mom has to say about this. . . . first, I have a small disclaimer for any of those friends I have out there reading this. . . . .I love all my friends. :) I wish Max could understand that I gave him 3 little built-in permanent best friends. Their names are Alexander, Barrett, and Jacqualynn Grace. :) They are close enough together in age (3 years, 3 weeks) that he shouldn't really need additional friends. I told him the other day that friends were over-rated. That was sure a big mistake and I'm pretty sure that got under the little guy's skin. In fact, he started to negotiate with me. For a 4-year-old he actually put his thoughts together rather well. He went on to name one of the friends that I run with. . ."Mom, you have a friend, Lauralee, and you guys go running together, so that means I can have friends." I'm pretty sure he really meant to say something more like this, "Mom, you have friends, and since you do things with your friends, I should be able to spend every waking minute either playing at a friend's house or having half the neighborhood over to mine." Well, my little negotiator broke me down. I want to say we had half the neighborhood over (it felt like a lot of children), but in reality we had a handful of kids over and a few mom's today to play. I'm secretly hoping that my sweet Max has had his "friend fix" for a couple of days, but I'm sure I will hear all about friends in the morning.
A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half-cracked. ~Author Unknown
I'm pretty much a cracked egg, but I have to admit that my world lights up when I hear from an old friend. Heck, when I hear from any friend! I guess friends aren't so bad. Thank you to all you friends out there.

8 comments:

MaDeb or Deb said...

Did you ever wonder why we moved to the Country??? You had to play with your built in friends and cousins.. Everyone else lived too far away...and it also simplified our life! We, meaning your parents liked to have a lot of "control" over the friend situation. Just another one of our little growing up and raising children quirks!!!

Brooke said...

Mom, you are so funny but I can see why you guys moved us. Taylor so far is antisocial wants nothing to do with any one but family, always wants to see her cousins. Love the post it made my whole morning! Thanks!

Dana and ohana said...

I agree, the constant friend questions can get crazy but they are also a huge power of persuasion. "If you complete xyz...Gage can come over for one hour" or "If you are nice to your sister all day we can invite a friend for a bike ride" Its amazing how fast things can get done or how caring thy become.

My Many Coloured Days said...

A constant battle. If you get it all figured out, let me know! Each child is different though in their social needs, and I wonder if the oldest ALWAYS seems to be the MOST social one! (it's like that here too!)

Anonymous said...

Sister....can I be your friend too?? Your post made me smile, even after a 14 hour day of flying!

Anonymous said...

Okay where does he get this whole social butterfly thing. It must be a Watson thing, because Barretts have a really hard time with people who aren't family.

Barrett Bunch said...

Love y'all to death, but thank goodness he didn't get that Barret gene of : "Friends, who needs friends when you have family," my husband coined that phrase! Good for you Max friends are awesome just pick them wisley. Just remember... You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends nose!

Anonymous said...

ponytail on the trampoline love tocum in her ass she is the perfect age for anal