Saturday, June 2, 2007

Burley, Idaho

When Tim and I left for Burley, Idaho I didn't let the door hit me on the way out. :) I warned Grandma Watson and Aunt Lyss that Sister was one grumpy lady and I'm pretty sure that they can testify of that because she is still one grumpy lady. Tim finally did it . . the big race. . the Half Ironman. For those that don't know a Half Ironman is pretty much amazing ~ 1.2mile swim, 56mile bike, and 13.1 mile run all back to back to back. I should write all about how Tim had an amazingly strong finish in well under the predicted 1st time course average. He was strong and looked GOOD, but since I'm all about me and this is all about me. . . . guess what I did. . . not quite as impressive as Tim, but I completed the bike portion of the course and I would have to admit that it felt like quite an accomplishment. In fact, when I first set out on the bike it was smooth sailing and I was prepared to declare to the world that I would complete a half ironman myself. Then the miles started to add up. At mile 35 I could really feel my energy levels drop, I wished that I had ate breakfast and was secretly praying for a flat. ;) There were a few highlights on my ride. . . While on my ride the top "elite" competitors passed me, it was then that I could tell the $6,000 difference in our bikes. I'm pretty sure that I could hear the wheels on their bikes singing, all while my bike was clicking and clanging. Highlight #2. . . I thought for sure as I took a break behind an enormus farm tractor that Tim would pass me on the bike and I'd never see him. Fortunately, as I headed back to my bike I saw my lovely. . . . I cheered him on. . . . Just seeing Tim compete well gave me the little extra boost I needed for the last 15 miles. Love . .isn't it great? Lastly, I really enjoyed riding my bike through the countryside of Idaho. . . .it looks nothing like Yelm, but it took me back to my childhood days. The bike rides to the lake. .. .I remember I would peddle my little heart out to keep up with all the boys. .. .that little 5 mile ride with a break at the gas station for treats felt like forever. I thought it would never end. . . kind of like the 56 miles. . . I swore during that ride I would never ride 56 miles again. Interesting . . . today I am re-considering the idea of signing up for STP. Maybe I should get serious and start training. . .
Just maybe . . hopefully . . .I can get Tim to write a thing or two about his race. . . wouldn't that be fun?
Tim writes: The water was cold. The air was hot. The bike was uphill. The race was long. Feet hurt. Knees hurt. Need rest. I love blogs!
Thanks for babysitting Grandma Watson and Aunt Lyss. . . Maybe they will give us some insight into their great weekend with the kids. I guess everything doesn't have to be all about me all the time! :)

5 comments:

Dana and ohana said...

Great job both you! What a fun trip...and without kids. heaven!

Barrett Bunch said...

WOW... Not sure what else to write. So proud of both of you! What an accomlpishment. I can't believe you did a 56 mile bike ride Shauna:) And for Tim, yeah pretty unbelievable! Glad you guys had a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

You guys are crazy and I love you to death. Thanks for letting me hang out with the kids. I love that I get to know their little selfs a little more everytime I hang out with them. I definately have a lot of respect for you guys as parents as I discovered playing mommy is so much harder than you make it look.

Brooke said...

AWESOME TIM AND SHAUNA I AM SO IMPRESSED! I WOULD HAVE DIED! =)

libbie said...

my gosh, when do you find time for all this! Great job! I'll skip the biking and swimming and take the running! Too much hard work. Need more play!