Saturday, July 28, 2007

Traditions

Going to Electric City, WA feels almost as good as going home. I'm not sure of the exact number of years my family has been setting up camp at the same hilly campground, but I promise I'm not exaggerating when I write that the Banks Lake tradition has been around for a good 23 years. . . . .who would have guessed I'd be grown and bringing my husband and 4 children there? There has always been a little part of me deep inside that hoped that the tradition would still be alive and going strong when I was old and grey. I have so many fond memories of this place that I wanted nothing more than for my children to experience the magic of the rock?. . .the lake?. ..or is it the campground? Really. . .when I really think about Banks Lake . ..it is so much more than cliff jumping off a rock, water skiing on the lake or sitting around a roaring campfire. The magic of this place lies in the people, the memories, and the time spent together. While we don't require a Banks Lake to draw our family closer together it has become a gathering place were relationships can be strengthened and memories created. I love this lake and more importantly what it represents in my life. With all the ups and downs I experienced, that we all experience in life, there was always Banks Lake. Our family didn't vacation in Hawaii, Mexico, or tour Europe. . . . every year we did the same vacation. . . Banks Lake. I don't believe any one of us kids would have had it any other way. The closeness that it has brought to our family is indescribable. I'm grateful that as adults we have made the effort to go with our own families and babies. Thank you to everyone that helped keep this tradition alive. At first thought, I would classify myself as a hotel and pool kind of girl. . .but when I really think about it I'm most certain that I wouldn't trade my tent and sleeping bag for the world. Who would have thought camping could be so fun??

5 comments:

Becca said...

What a cute family! I love the Banks tradition...it has always been so much fun. Hopefully, my family will keep it up! Darling family pic! I love it! Everyone looks great!

Anonymous said...

Shauna, you're such a good blog-writer. Every post makes me laugh! =) Looks like you had a great time! I do have two questions for you though... 1 - is that the lake you took us to on our trips to Washington? and 2 - how did you manage to have ice cream cones while you were camping???

Anonymous said...

Shauna... love the post... it almost brought tears to my eyes :) It was so fun to see a pic with all your brothers and sisters. How fun to be all together again :). Wish we could have been there too :).

RHS said...

This is exactly like my family!! Every year for 25 years we've gone camping at BASS LAKE in the Sierra Mtns of California. We never took any other fancy vacations...always Bass Lake. We decided not to go this year b/c of my little sister's wedding, but plan on going next year. Usually we go the first week of August and it's making me oh so sad that I'm not there w/ everyone. I remember when I missed the summer I was on my mission....it was so painful! Bass Lake will always be my home away from home. I totally hear ya sista!

Shauna said...

LOL! Doreen you are so funny! The lake that we went to with you and Adam is called Mason Lake. Another great lake. This lake is in Eastern Washington. . .Big Rocks and Sandy Beaches.

I know . . .Ice cream camping? There is a little store a short walk away. . .they sell ice cream. After we went once to get ice cream with the kids, they thought we should go every night. ;) Little tiny brains I'm telling you.